January 23, 2009

Chasing Happiness

I have been reading a pretty interesting psychology book called "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life". In it the author tells you to write down in great detail 10 of your happiest memories. Since this is my journal I thought I would write them down here. These are in some particular order but not much.
10. When I was a kid my family always struggled with having enough money. One year it was particularly bad so my Dad got a second job on top of the 10-12 hour days he was already working. His second job was a paper route really early in the morning. I remember that I got to go with him one morning. I thought it was so much fun to just spend time with him and drop off news papers at doorsteps. After we were done he took me to get doughnuts for breakfast.
9. In 4th grade we were living in Lakewood Colorado. I remember being friendly with most kids but not really having a good friend until later that year. My teacher Mrs. DeGuire must have noticed that or something because she chose me for a little program that they had started at the school. They started a program called young Ichthyologist's basically we were able to go to the library before school and feed the fish and learn a little bit about them. It was just nice to be chosen for something.
8. My senior year in high school I was able to go on a trip to Virginia and New York with my Mom, Grandma, 2 aunts and some cousins. We went to see Les Miserables. It was just nice to spend a long time with two of my favorite family members.
7. I remember the two years of living in Payson to be some of the happiest times in my life. We lived there during my 7th and 8th grades. I had two best friends named Shelby and Janet. I also met other amazing and wonderful people there. We always had so much fun together. Looking back I worry that Janet didn't have as much fun as Shelby and I did. Some of the fun was at Janet's expense. We had so many fun sleepovers. My life those two years was pretty carefree. I loved living in Payson and still love Shelby and Janet for all the great memories that we have.
6. Ryan and I got married in June and I got a job at K-Mart. It was not very fun but a worthy life experience. I had to work long hours around Christmas and was feeling pretty sad about it. On Christmas Eve I worked until 9:00 that evening and Ryan picked me up after work. When we got home the, Christmas tree was lit and had all of our sweet home made ornaments on it and underneath the tree were a lot of presents that hadn't been there before. Ryan had gone shopping several times while I was at work and bought me presents. He very specifically got me nice comfortable shoes that I could wear to work. He was so thoughtful and that year I learned how much he loves Christmas. It was really one of the best Christmas' ever.

I will stop now and save the other five for next time

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That's such a great idea to post happy memories. It's fun to read them, too. Keep 'em coming.